Tuesday, December 30, 2014

345/365


Oh lordy. Trips to the library. The idea of them makes me feel like one of those super awesome moms, the ones that have everything together and are fun, and encouraging their children's interests and teaching them things and just skip through life. Those moms. They are the moms that somehow all moms believe exist and yet, we all know that they don't really exist. Or if they do they are each of us only for a moment in time and in that moment other moms see them and think that all their moments must be like that, when in reality they're thinking the same thing about some other mom later that day. Anyway, today when I took you two to the library I was feeling good, we packed up all the books we'd already read through which filled two large bags, we drove to the library, found a parking spot in the parking garage, dug up three quarters to fill the meter while keeping Cora from wandering out of the empty parking space next to us. Then I couldn't find my phone, which I didn't REALLY need except that I usually set a timer for how long our meter has as to avoid getting a ticket. So I finally found it down between the seats. Then we head inside, Cora complaining because she's cold and Logan racing ahead wildly, me hauling the two heavy bags of books. We get inside to the book drop and you two start pushing the books into the little slots. We discover that somehow one of our own books "If you give a cat a cupcake," has stowed away in the book bags, so I try to put it in Cora's little backpack, which she does not like, and now refuses to wear. So I take it out, and stuff it into my purse, although that just feels weird, stuffing a book in my purse at the library. So now we've unloaded our books, we head inside and up the stairs to the children's department, hoping that the Discovery room will be open. It's not. The kids are of course disappointed. And being able to see all the cool undiscoverable stuff in the Discovery room through the dark windows makes it worse. So I try to distract them toward picking out new books which I'm not sure why I still try to get them to choose the books. They never do. They would rather throw all the puppets onto the floor and yell loudly into the play pay phone. So I put my empty bags down with my book bulging purse and now Logan's coat which he doesn't want to wear and try to gather new books while also keeping Logan and Cora from wandering off or getting lost among the crowd of disappointed children and parents trying to juggle books and coats and bags. I fill up one bag, then Logan wants to leave, so I find the Nate the Great books for him to choose a few from, while Cora decides she wants to lay on the floor and doesn't want to carry her empty backpack anymore. Add that to the pile of stuff I'm moving from spot to spot as I heard my two "louder than everyone else" unhappy children. We search on the comptuer for books about Leopard Geckos and write down the call numbers. We haul (well I haul) all our stuff over to the non-fiction section and search the 978 section. These are books about the Oregon trail. Not right at all. Cora is running to the 600's. I'm following calling for Logan to follow. Hey look, reptile books in the 600 section! Cora is hot, wants a drink from the water fountain on the other side of the library. I find the Leopard Gecko books, stuff them in my full, heavy bags full of new books and start heading for the water fountain with Cora. I get to the end of the row and turn back to see Logan still sitting in the 600's reading a book about snakes. "Come on, Logan! Bring the book and lets go!" We get water. We take the elevator downstairs. Both children lay down on the their backs one the floor of the elevator. The doors open, I convince them to get up and come help me check out the books. We get to the self check out, they both want to scan the books. I tell them they can each do one bag. Logan gets started. Cora is whining because there is no stool for her to stand on like there usually is. I scan the area for stools. No stools. So I grab Cora and walk a bit away from Logan who's still scanning. Ah ha! Stool! I grab it and come back to Logan who is finishing up his last few books. He moves over and Cora gets her turn to scan. Well, she can't really scan them, but wants to think she's doing it, so I scan them for her while also loading all the scanned books back into our bags. We're done, 42 new books. I convince Cora to put her backpack back on, I convince Logan to put his coat back on. I grab the bags and my purse and "If you give a cat a cupcake and head out the doors while praying we did scan every book in our back so that the alarms don't sound as we go through the censors. They don't! But my phone alarm goes off saying we've got maybe 2 minutes left on the meter. We trek back outside to the van and load back up. I get in the car and Logan asks if we can get a Frosty. I say no. We're going home. One trip to the library is all I can handle today.

No comments: